Friday, May 16, 2014

That Old Musty Chair


This evening’s wind comes from God
knows where.  It’s a hot sun filled wind
carrying the dust and pollen of nearby
abysmal empties into the cracks of
the city, to roost, to stammer
and break the old wild river city
                 wide open.

It’s the same green I used to see
choking up certain forgotten highways
up down twist about motion as my
whisky hand always gripped the steering
wheel with biting oiled alkie-hate
and senses keen for the law.  The
gray cracked ground of dried up
river beds under tiny half
remembered viaducts where my soul
used to preside.  

This evening I drink hot coffee out of
a wax dixie cup made for coffee complete
with topper so as not to spill and stain.
I sit in an old maroon faded chair
from the 30’s I bought from a thrift
shop with my estranged girlfriend but
soon to be wife in the chill fall of
2011.  I remember the way she buried
her face in my neck when she said
‘good bye’ after that thrift store trip and I
took that chair up stairs to my lonely room
and sat on it to write 16 songs over the
course of two months being apart.  I won
her back with my songs and the help
of that old musty chair.  I’ll probably
still be sitting in it when the world ends.

- - - - - - - - -

(May __ 2014)  

No comments:

Post a Comment