Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Sketches - 37 (October 14th, 2014)

37.

Wind pushes at the walls and
eves of the old timed home
in Omaha’s west side neighborhood
where I work.  

I do home care - take blood
pressures, document weight
fluctuations and when or  
whatever comes knocking, do
everything in my power to
make the client I have
as comfortable as possible.

When the wind blows it tosses
the trees around and their
shadows strobe and flit-filter
the sunlight onto the floor
of the room.  My client has
outlived his friends, outlived
the idea of what everyone
thought America should be -
          outlived the depression,
          the wars and all the
          stale prosperous years.
and yet for all that is one
of the happiest grittiest
souls I've ever known.

I sense the drought coming -
          not too far off now
and the weight of all those
memories of that abysmal drive
pushing on purposeless
between Denver/Omaha, feeling
its shadow coming in
from the western expanse of
deserts and odd shaped zig
zag coast lines.  Its started its
attack and wages its sentences
in that twisting lower lurch
certainty that there’s really
nothing out there and being
startled when that nothing knocks at the
             freshly painted door
             as tacky and gloom-new
             as time itself.

(October 14th, 2014)
_____________

No comments:

Post a Comment